Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Nostalgia

I was recently looking at a photo album I received from a really good friend of mine, whom I appreciate and have the utmost respect for, for my high school graduation gift. It contained pictures of me and close friends from youth back in the day, and had pictures of all the people who had a huge impact on forming who I am today. Those who came to youth and left, those who were a huge part throughout all my years in youth, and even those who mentored me, helped me shape into the man of God I became in high school. Although I was a stubborn teenager who didn't know what he wanted, and who waivered worse than trees in the wind, these people stuck by me, extended grace when I really didn't deserve it, and showed me love like I had never felt. They exemplified a God who they talked about, but managed to walk the walk. Although I am not sure where each one is at now, I know that those days were incredible, they were filled with so much adventure, with so much passion, and just a sense that we all had each other's back, through thick and thin.

I am sure many of you are aware that I didn't have the strongest family situation growing up, but in my eyes, although I am not in contact with many of the faces I saw, there is a sense of looking back on old family photographs. Pictures of retreats, of times of prayer, times that I know there were tears that followed, and times that you just can't help but look at and smile. :) Lately I have had a real sense of missing high school, and all those that made it so special. There are things that I look back and forehead-palm, and turn a little red. I mean there will always be high school drama, but it just seems so insignificant right now.

So as I reflect, and notice how long this blog has become, I want to pose this question: Do you ever look back and remember the good times. The nights where you couldn't stop laughing because EVERYTHING was funny? The days where you struggled to get through class to see those people who knew exactly who you were and appreciated you for that? Or maybe just hanging out with those couple of close friends and talking relationships and that "special someone" who you would give your arm and your leg to date?

I know it is not good to live in the past, and it can be dangerous if that is what engulfs who you become. There are those who never get out of high school and live that lifestyle in there middle age years. But I think we need to look back and truly appreciate where we have been.

I encourage you, look back and think of something or someone you are thankful for. If you believe in God, thank Him for the blessings that were given to you. If you don't take some time to reminisce on the good ol' days.

To those reading this, and we were close or even just everyday friends, thank you for your investment in my life, and taking the time to get to know me. If you went to youth with me back in high school; you are family and thanks so much. If I have hurt you and you have some bent up anger towards me, I am sorry, and I hope you can understand that I am also just a man, and I have made MANY mistakes in my short life on this earth. Please find it in your heart to forgive me, because I am just a man. Our lives are way to short to hold grudges, and we need to spread the love. I have seen many acts of forgiveness and some really big ones at that.


2 Corinthians 9:14-15

 - 14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment