Saturday, February 19, 2011

Is True Wisdom Knowing When to Keep our Mouths Closed?


1 Cor. 1:27-31 - 


27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”[b]






One of the things I have been battling with is my craving for understanding. I want to better understand why I believe what I believe, and also why I stand up for what I stand up for. It is not easy living in a society that we do where the Christian faith has gone from a majority to minority in the couple decades. There are many more faiths out there, and many that to the large amount of people look more appealing than Christianity. I love the occasional debate with people, and discussing different angles on things of life. And with every debate or argument, I am finding myself wanting, once again, to better understand. Although there are many out there that it is easier to live a blind faith, I personally prefer to have an educated faith. Whether that means looking at commentaries or reading books on different topics, it is not as simple for me to just say "I do this because in my heart I know it is right, and nothing will change that". I tried that once, and found myself shaken as soon as someone brought up the possibility of it not happening. I had no defence, and I was helpless in the argument. Also, growing up I did not have a faith in Christ, therefore everything I have learned and lived has been in the last 8-9 years. I have been to Bible College and plan on attending seminary eventually, and I have appreciated the people I have met along the way, because I have gotten a better understanding from many different perspectives. 


Now don't get me wrong, by no means do I not deep down in the deepest part of my heart believe that God is a mighty and powerful God, and also in the trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and also the resurrection and coming again of Christ, but to blindly say "this is true just because..." I find it a little difficult.


But to what extent is it time to just take what you learn, and rather than debate and cause a ruckus, just relax, and share with those who are willing to listen. Although I do like to ask tough questions of people and their faith, especially those who believe in God, I sometimes wonder if maybe it would just be smarter to be quiet than to stir the pot. And maybe sometimes there ARE things in the faith that it is just better to not understand. There are things that we will NEVER be able to understand because we are not God. And there are things that no one will be able to prove until we actually meet God. 


Where is the balance, of faith and understanding, on which we can teeter. Is it better to have more faith? Is it better to have more understanding? I don't know, I just know that it is the salvation and grace given to us by God that we are able to press on, wake up another day, and walk another mile.


I am beginning to understand how unworthy I am of ministry on my own, and even with the grace of God. But it is in the weakness that God can make us strong.


Be strong my friends, and may you never stop seeking the one who created and loves you more than you will ever know.

1 comment:

  1. Why choose Christianity over any of the other Abrahamic religions? Or any other religion for that matter. This is the question I asked myself and I could not give an answer that satisfied me. With thousands of religions that were or currently followed how can I choose one and rule out the rest. There also could exist infinite other beliefs (I don't use infinite willy nilly). There could be mathematical infinite other contenders . No matter how convicted I was in my belief there exists a Muslim or scientogist that is more convicted. So I had to bring in some third parties like the scientific method and philosophy. This lead me to know I must chose either all religions ideologies or no ideologies based in theisism, I chose the later.

    ReplyDelete